Today’s blog post is all about how you can re-create your own designer lampshade for a fraction of the price; let’s call it the House of hackney Hack! Even though it’s bound to get on House of hackney’s wick. Hackney… wick.. get it (sorry, but I couldn’t help myself… taxi for Cotton). But as Oscar Wilde once said ‘Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery’, and if you learn anything from this post, it should be the knowledge that lamp covering isn’t that difficult and if I can do it, you certainly can. So, let’s get started.
Firstly, I just want to say how I am a huge fan of House of Hackney and their iconic prints and I only wish I could fill my entire home with their prints. But at £414 a lampshade I had to resort to making my own.
It all started back in February when I went to a House of hackney sample sale and purchased a couple of lengths of different printed velvets. Palmeral velvet was £40 a meter, while Florika was £30 a meter. You might have even read my previous post on how I created my own bargain House of hackney Palmeral printed cushions, well todays post is going one step further.
The sample sale was pure magic. Walls and walls of rolls of their famous prints at £30-£40 per meter, so I obviously I stocked up on a few. So heres my guide to making your own.
First I purchased a reverse scalloped retro style wire lampshade frame with a 18" base from ebay for £13.60 which also included a carrier so I could convert it to a floor lamp, or you could use it as a ceiling shade if you wish.
I then bought a real of 20 meters of black ribbon from hobby craft for (£1.00) and wrapped the entire frame, using glue to hold the ends to the metal frame (£2.50).
I laid the fabric in a diagonal direction across the frame (smooth pile down) and started to stretch and pin the fabric onto the ribbon. Note* This is why I covered the frame in ribbon. The ribbon gives the pins and needle something to stitch onto when sewing.*
Once it was pinned, I then hand stitched it to the frame at the sides, top and bottom to secure it. The key is to stretch the fabric as tight as you can so you don't get any puckering.
(Just to note I didn’t line the shade first, but obviously you can if you want too using the same method, it will just take more time).
I then carried this on around the lamp, ensuring that where I couldn’t match the print, I still cut the velvet smooth pile downwards to keep the shade consistent.
I have a small confession, I had already made a cushion with the 1 meter of fabric, so I couldn’t get a smooth pattern and had to panel it in places, but I personally think it still worked.
Where I had to panel the lamp shade, I used the same technique and then finished the edges by folding a 1cm hem allowance underneath and hand stitching it to the ribbon frame.
Once complete I wrapped the hem allowance at the top and bottom under and tacked it to the frame to tidy it up.
Now for the fun part and the icing on the cake. I then glued the tassel which I purchased on ebay for £3.29 a meter (I needed 2 meters) and the gimp trim which I got from VV rouleaux for £1.70 a meter to the top.
To finish, I sprayed the lampshade in a fire-retardant spray which I bought on the internet for £12.99. This is essential with any fabrics which are coming into close contact with heat.
I did in fact call House of hackney to check if their lamps and fabrics were coated in advance and they informed me that they are not, and that you need to treat them yourself, so make sure you do.
And that’s it… one DIY covered lamp shade in House of Hackney Florika for £68.37 saving me £345.63. I hope this inspires you to make your own. For all the componants and links to shopping sites, see below for details.
I'd love to see what print you decide to make your own lamp in. x