When Wayfair asked if I wanted to be part of their latest home expert challenge I jumped at the chance. Celebrating the start of spring and all things greenery, this month's challenge is all about plant pots, and creating your dream planter of choice by giving one a bit of a makeover. As you might know already I blooming love a house plant so I couldn't wait to create my own pot for one, in my home style.
I decided immediately that I wanted it to be dark and have touches of metallic so first I chose the Gem Round planter by Sfeer Voor Jou (£27.99) from Wayfair's huge planter range for its gorgeous hexagonal shape.
And then this is exactly what I did, encase you want to do it too.....
1. To begin, clean your pot encase it has any dirt or grease. Mine was brand new so it didn't need a clean, but I'd recommend doing this if you were pimping up an old planter.
2. I then sprayed the entire pot black (inside and out). It's important to do this in a ventilated area, so I did it in my garden with a bit of cardboard to protect the table. You can see the difference below from wet to dry and how lovely the matt finish is!
3. I then used gold foil leaf along with some Mixton relief (a special glue) to start layering up the glue and the gold leaf gradually, spreading the glue in different directions with a small paint brush. **Top Tip** make sure the glue is almost dry and tacky before applying the gold leaf, otherwise it won't stick, and worst case can take off the black paint underneath.
After I'd finished layering up the gold foil, I primed the vase with a PVA glue to give the foil a protective shield, but you can also use a clear varnish if you have any around the house. You can layer as much or as little of the gold foil as you like. **Top Tip** be messy with the glue (Mixiton relief) so you achieve a more random look.
This DIY plant pot might not be to everyone's taste, but with the right colour combinations you can make something look more unique and more you. Go on, give it a go.
To achieve a similar look all you need is...
- 1 x plant pot
- 1 x small paint brush to spread the glue
- 1 x Can of acrylic spray paint in black (or any colour of your choice)
- 1 pack of metallic gold foil
- 1 tube Mixton relief (glue for the gold foil)
- PVA glue or clear varnish to seal the foil.
This post was sponsored by Wayfair. I wouldn't post anything I didn't agree with or personally like.